What is acupuncture?
Acupuncture is the insertion of fine needles in specific points on the body. It is used to regulate the function of the human body, increase blood flow, modulate the nervous system and enhance the immune system. Evidence currently available supports acupuncture as a safe and effective therapy to manage a wide range of symptoms(1).
There are different styles of acupuncture practiced (such as Japanese, Traditional, Electro etc) and are dependent on the acupuncturist. Acupuncture is not dry needling, which is practiced by physiotherapists as an adjunct to their practice and only treats the local trigger points.
Acupuncture at ben&biao is precision needling to specific depths, pre-determined to elicit direct neurological and physiological responses.
Our practitioners are highly trained and use the most currently researched protocols and methods and applications when treating patients.
Some of our acupuncture treatment options include:
- Manual acupuncture – the most traditional of the systems. We use both the Chinese and Japanese style which is gentle and painless insertion. Used for many conditions especially psychological, during pregnancy, or for elderly and/or immune compromised individuals.
Often used to relieve pain, congestion, constipation, inflammation, neurological disorders and to help induce labour. Using the latest electro acupuncture machines which have been manufactured to provide safe and accurate stimulation. This way we achieve the desired clinical outcomes which can be repeated. Our patients often report that they feel a slight buzzing or tapping or a warm sensation with electro. Many patients find it relaxing and fall asleep. Our machines have timers and will automatically switch off when the desired ‘dosage’ has been achieved.
- Cold laser – Usually used with children. No needles necessary. Our specifically manufactured cold lasers do the work of needles on the young or weak. Children love the red or blue lasers and report a cool sensation over the skin.
- Stim-pro / e-stimulators – These small machines are either used in conjunction with needles or the cold laser to enhance the treatments. Painless. Patients may detect a small buzzing sound.
- Auricular (ear) acupuncture
Our gold standard protocols combining European or Chinese needles with American and European protocols. Using these we can prolong treatment after the patient has walked out of the door and thereby enhance the treatment.
Acupuncture should not be painful however a very mild sensation may be felt in the form of a dull ache, throb or electric feeling. This is indicative that the nervous system is responding to the needles in the right way.
Acupuncture needles are extremely fine so insertion does not produce the sharp or stinging pain that an injection or blood test does.
It is unlikely that you will experience side effects. Very occasionally people note a slight bleed, bruising and/or some light-headedness following acupuncture.
(1) McDonald, J. Janz, J. 2017, The Acupuncture Evidence Project, AACMA, https://www.acupuncture.org.au/resources/publications/the-acupuncture-evidence-project-a-comparative-literature-review-2017/