Not everyone will have a deadly reaction to the Coronavirus. Like any virus, there are those that will contract the virus and overcome it without any intervention, and those who may need to be hospitalised. We want to fall into the category where our body’s defences are able to overcome the viral infection upon contraction or to even avoid infection completely. Therefore, we are putting measures in place to protect ourselves as much as possible.
1. Following health guidelines.
- Please sanitise hands and wash hands regularly.
- This is beyond any other preventative measure we want to highlight. The virus can spread from touching a handrail or a person and then putting your hand near your eyes, mouth or nose (T-Zone). The average person can touch their face up to 3000 times per day.
- Keep a hand sanitiser on you and keep using it during this season.
- Wear a face mask, not to protect from “airborne” diseases (as the 2019 Coronavirus is not an airborne disease like Measles) rather it is transmitted through droplets (which sink relatively quickly) and touching the face. A good way to protect the face from your own face touching habits, is through a barrier like a face mask. Face masks in themselves are not as useful, if you will be touching your face underneath them anyway.
2. Boost your immune system
with key antioxidants that are known to improve the immune system. Zinc and Vitamin C are your two core vitamins.
3. Herbal Support
We have looked at what herbal formulas that are needed to boost the immune system. This is not ShuangHuangLian that has been widely reported as effective for the new Coronavirus. Consider that the research conducted on this herbal formula was a small laboratory test and not trialled in humans. This formula also does not appear very balanced to us.
We are using specific mushrooms, and Chinese herbs that assist in strengthening immune and digestive system. We have three immune boosting, “damp” reducing formulas for different body types to help immunity.
We also have herbal footsoaks which you can use in the comfort of your own home.
If you would like to know more then get in touch with Heidi or Bree for an assessment, diagnosis and prescription/treatment.
To book a Traditional Chinese Medicine Herbal Consultation. Click here.
We do not sell herbs over the counter without an initial herbal consultation. Herbal rescripts can be ordered after initial herbal consultation for a duration of 2 weeks. This is as the body is constantly adapting and the rescript may not be accurate or relevant anymore after those changes.
4. Cupping, Scraping therapy and Acupuncture
for health support and immune modulation. In TCM, cupping is understood to help with clearing of “Damp, Cold and Improving Blood Circulation”.
There are many mechanisms associated with cupping for immunomodulatory effects with a study noting increased concentrations of Interferon Gamma and Interleukin 4. Interleukin 4 is the precursor to Naive T-cells which are the immune cells responsible for responding to novel pathogens that the immune system has not yet encountered. Having an adequate concentration of Interleukin 4 for differentiation into Naïve T-cells is absolutely imperative for your body, should it ever encounter the 2019 Novel Coronavirus so it can fight against the pathogen.
We would recommend coming in for 2 fire cupping treatments per week for a duration for 2 weeks as standard immune protocol.
We are able to provide cupping or scraping as well as acupuncture in the same treatment or as a standalone treatment.
5. Get yourself a healthier gut.
- Healthy gut correlates to a better immune system.
- Cut down the sugar.
- Take probiotics and prebiotic foods (Make sure these are right for you by getting assessed through your clinical naturopath or Integrative GP).
- Take care of your digestive system.
If you need help with this then get in touch with us. We have in-clinic Naturopaths Chantelle/Brenda at Ben & Biao, along with a great network of Integrative GPs to refer.
- If you have nutritional concerns, we also have Chantelle and Brenda who can help with nutrition to assist with long term effects.