So I didn’t think I’d be writing this so soon but as we are already seeing patients in the clinic coming out the other side of COVID I thought I’d send this out to explain some of the symptoms. This information may also relevant for many Chronic Fatigue cases.
As people recover from Covid, a common number of ‘long haul/extended time’ of symptoms can occur. A number of these are :
- Excessive tiredness / Chronic fatigue
- Sleep interruption/depravation.
What’s going on?
During Covid, the body’s lymphatic system starts to swell with all the inflammatory markers such as cytokines and a bit like a busy highway, slows down.
As the virus is conquered by the immune system the lymph continues to drain all the debris, inflammatory markers etc out of the body.
When we have ‘long term’ symptoms the reason may be that the lymph system is not clearing the symptoms out.
Specifically in the symptoms experienced above, the lymph system of the brain which is called ‘Glymphatic system’ does not drain sufficiently and this will impact the hypothalamus of the brain. The hypothalamus is like ‘an instruction keyboard to the body’ and when it’s impacted, the signals it sends out are no longer functioning properly. Results, fatigue, lower moods, sleep issues, pain.
What will help improve recovery?
You are basically looking at two areas; improving the CIRCULATION and clearing out the debris (unresolved inflammation). Here I’m going to give you evidence based information about the circulation.
- As the glymphatic system ONLY works when you are asleep the number one concern is to get as much sleep as possible. This is NOT falling asleep with iphones/tech/sitting up/multi-tasking sleep with hypnotherapy etc. This is going to bed, laying down and sleeping the old fashioned way and getting enough of it! 6 hours a night is not enough! Studies have shown most adults need a minimum of 8 for maintenance.. If you want the body to RECOVER (not just maintenance then when your body says sleep, then that is what you should do.
- Improve the circulation by receiving a very gentle manual therapy such as central lymphatic drainage, myofascial release, cranial sacral therapy. These feel so slight that you can’t even believe you are being treated, however when done by a skilled and trained practitioner you know it works because you spend all afternoon urinating!
- Spinal Cord Dynamics. Again this is using the body to gently move the cerebral spinal fluid and improve circulation. Things like Qi Gong, Feldenkrais, Co-ordination Dynamics fall into this category. What do they have in common. Slow, specific movements, using the breath to improve circulation.
While I can’t help you with the third one, our masseuse Visca is qualified as myofascial release therapist, and the practitioners at the clinic can help you with natural aid sleep supplements and education if you need help.
If you want to know more about how to clear the inflammation and / or deal with symptoms, or would like to know what we are suggesting to do if you are getting posts vaccination symptoms, keep an eye on the benbiao health facebook page, our webpage or please contact the clinic and book an appointment with one of the practitioners.
Take care all